IMORTANT MESSAGE

IMPORTANT MESSAGE: My book, Schneider Trophy to Spitfire; the Design Career of R. J. Mitchell is no longer in print and the copyright has reverted from the publisher to myself. I am now putting finishing touches to a much expanded, completely up-to-date, second edition with 50% more photos, and 25% more text – 300 pp. instead of 250. There are general arrangement drawings of Mitchell’s 22 main types which flew, as well as 40 other drawings. I intend the book to be a deluxe production, doing justice to R. J. Mitchell and worthy of what I consider will be the definitive account of the man and his work at Supermarine.

As I wish to have complete control of the appearance and quality of this edition, but at an affordable price, I will self-publish it at cost (in hardback) at an estimated £20.

Final details will be available nearer publication date (October, 2016) but it would be helpful if you notify me as soon as possible of a likely intention to purchase – please contact me using the form in the sidebar.

Saturday, 17 March 2012

Mitchell's Sea Lion II – colour?

Sea Lion II  (painting by author)



Does anyone  really know what were the colours of the Supermarine Sea Lion II? Coloured illustrations show Mitchell’s Schneider Trophy winner (1922) as blue but on what evidence?  It was a rush job to get the machine ready in time and then the Italians put the race date forward. Not much time for possibly adding the extra weight of a special paint job, I would have thought. So my painting shows the machine on test before going to Venice for the competition.
Anyone have any views? 

No comments:

Post a Comment